SoCal U12s at ParkCity SkiTown Shootout

Our connection to our friends down south.

SoCal U12s at ParkCity SkiTown Shootout

Postby Billax » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:35 am

navlax76 and Craig Hochstadt took a team to the Park City tournament. navlax76 jr was the starting goalie of this team. A good number of NorCal parents and players rooted for the SoCal boys at several fo their games. SoCal was undefeated the last I heard.

They looked a lot like the good SoCal HS teams with fast, athletic players and unselfish passing to get the open shot. Of course, navlax76 jr. was his useful spectacular self as the starting keeper, stopping everything in sight and then launching those beautiful clears to racing middies. As an aside, he was wearing Lamorinda Lightning Bolts on his helmet, a remnant of his astounding play for Lamorinda in the youth games in San Diego at the First 4. Thanks for reppin' Lightning Lacrosse, jr!
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

LACROSSE FRATERNITY

Postby navlax76 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:57 pm

In the truest and nicest sense of the word "fraternity", my sincere thanks to the NorCal parents and players of showed the "fraternal" spirit of lacrosse by supporting our SoCal Starz team from the sidelines. Craig and I stressed to the boys how great the game of lacrosse is, because its spirit extends to a greater group of lacrosse faithful than one's own team and fans. You good folks showed that by example in Park City.

Two sidenotes: (1) When I was on the far sideline watching NorCal convincingly dismantle an opponent, I overheard one lacrosse mom asking "...when the CA teams would be leaving." She wasn't being a rude host; it was only that her two sons' teams (U-13 & U-12) were not used to being beaten so convincingly. I took it as a compliment to CA lacrosse and just smiled without comment. (2) Over an adult beverage and nachos at the Wasatch Brew Pub on Main Street in Park City, Craig and I reminisced about the times when our respective alma mater Baltimore & Anne Arundel Counties' youth teams would face each other in the big STX-Cockeysville Tournament in No. Baltimore. Then we mused about forming a youth team of about 20 kids that would represent all of CA and take on the MD youth elite in their own backyard. We both agreed that such a team would fare very well and would likely be a group that would eventually rise to the top of NCAA recruiting lists. Summer 2007?
navlax76
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby DlaxDad » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:56 pm

I don't know how the SoCal Starz finished, but they sure looked sharp in the game I watched. They played as a team, and were generally where they were supposed to be when they were supposed to be there. And the kid with the bolt on his helmet in goal the first half had some sweet moves.

As to repping California in '07, I know one pole who'd give his eye teeth to try out for that squad. Great idea, Navlax.

And on a personal note, it was a pleasure putting a face and a personality with the handle. Thanks to Billax for the intro. Navlax, you don't look a thing like your avatar. :wink:
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:07 am

Navlax's avatar was when he was a lot younger. :D
If its worth doing, its worth abusing.
Grizz
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby DlaxDad » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:12 am

He must have had his teeth in when I met him . . . . .
DlaxDad

LACROSSE OVERDOSE?

Postby navlax76 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:27 am

Can there be too much lacrosse in a three day span?

Yes, I had my top-drawer, store-bought teeth in to meet DlaxDad.

...and I had my squadron photo retouched before posting it here. You know how vain aviators can be; so I had some of the facial lines and wrinkles removed for a more youthful look.

P.S. A fun time with a good group of boys. Many had just met each other three hours before our flight to SLC. Their first full-field play as a team was their first game on Friday. They improved throughout the tournament and played unselfishly. The boys went undefeated, 5 - 0 with only one close game, a very physical contest against the Utah A team. No grousing, but... as the game got close, the Utah officials called us for every infraction from overdue library books to the heartbreak of psoriasis. :roll:
navlax76
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby DlaxDad » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:14 pm

Congratulations to a skilled and well-coached SoCal Starz team. It was great fun to have another team to root for at the tournament -- made DlaxMom and me feel like members of the extended lacrosse family.

And I think I reconnize them choppers . . . . :)
DlaxDad

Return to Southern California