SD-CIF Tournament Seedings

Our connection to our friends down south.

SD-CIF Tournament Seedings

Postby navlax76 » Thu May 11, 2006 9:20 pm

1. La Costa Canyon 16. Eastlake
2. Poway 15. Junipero Serra
3. Coronado 14. Granite Hills
4. Torrey Pines 13. Grossmont
5. St. Margaret's 12. Monte Vista
6. Rancho Bernardo 11. Santa Fe Christian
7. Bishop's 10. Cathedral Catholic
8. Westview 9. Francis Parker

Don't even remotely foresee any upsets by #11 through 16 seeds. Bishop's may be vulnerable owing to their small roster size and the injuries they have.

With this season's inconsistent play, it should be a fun second round. Opening round begins on Friday night with the R.B. vs S.F.C. match. Majority of first round games on Saturday.
navlax76
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby Grizz » Thu May 11, 2006 9:34 pm

Navlax76

We have 8 playoff spots for 48 teams up here and you have 16 playoff spots for 38 teams. Do you think we have too few spots or you have too many? As you said, #11-16 probably won’t upset, so do you think, for the first round, are they just holding charity games? Do you think Westview would have a chance against LCC if they had an 8 team playoff?
Grizz
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby navlax76 » Fri May 12, 2006 4:02 am

Not sure what the "correct" ratio is for our CA H.S. lads, but I do know that the NHL should not be still playing for the Stanley Cup in June. (A pet peeve.)

Monte Vista and Eastlake are conference champions so they get an automatic qualifier status. Grossmont and Granite Hills have decent winning percentages, albeit against inferior competition. You could say they are there to "round out" the field. For perspective, I'd equate them to about the level of play you'd see from say a team like Foothill-Pleasanton.

Eastlake against LCC could go to the mercy rule during the playing of the national anthem. I hear the LCC goalie is bringing his homework, so he'll have something productive to do during the game. As for Westview beating LCC; this year who knows? I wouldn't have thought Foothill (O.C.) could beat LCC, especially after seeing a decidedly weaker Coronado team demolish Foothill. Funny year, but the championship is still LCC's to lose and I'd still give them the nod as the best team in the state. Although the best CA H.S. lacrosse I've seen played this year was by Torrey Pines against Garden City. (The same T.P. who later loses to Coronado and squeaks past Westview. Figure that?!)
navlax76
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby Flandog » Mon May 15, 2006 11:50 am

My $0.02...

They should limit the field to 10 teams with 4 teams involved with play-in games. That would eliminate a little of the who should get in arguements. Also - it would give the #1 and #2 seeds a little advantage in that their opponents would have to play an additional game to tire them out.

Some of these teams up north need to play a better schedule so we have something to which to compare them. If not - they are at the mercy of the "NCS" decision makers.

Poor SI. They have no post-season. It's a shame. They need to lobby the NCS and get involved somehow. Post season is where all the magic happens - good or bad.

Torrey Pines vs. GC - Navlax do you have any tape of that game. That's the only game that's keeping CA from getting buried on the national forum.
Last edited by Flandog on Mon May 22, 2006 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIRTH - LACROSSE - DEATH
Flandog
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Postby navlax76 » Tue May 16, 2006 11:40 am

Unfortunately, the GC vs. TP game was not televised. Very good chance that the Falcon's Boosters Club recorded the game though on some parents' video gear. I'll ask around.
navlax76
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

On to the Semis ...

Postby navlax76 » Tue May 16, 2006 10:38 pm

Torrey Pines over St. Margaret's by one, on a goal with less than 30 seconds left in the game,

Coronado easily over Rancho Bernardo. Final was 14-10, but it was 8 -1 at half and 14 - 6 with two and half minutes left and the Nado reserves on the field.

Easy wins for LCC and Poway. Good seasons for Francis Parker and Bishop's (navlax76 Jr's new school next year, go Knights!)

Semis are set with third time rematches the order of the day on Thursday. Torrey Pines at LCC and Coronado at Poway. I'll predict LCC in a game closer than the last meeting with the Falcons. Take Coronado in an upset over Poway in a physical game (the limb is pretty thin out here). LCC over Coronado in the final.
navlax76
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby Billax » Tue May 16, 2006 11:01 pm

Congratulations to St. Margaret's on a great season. Nicely done, Tartan!

Navlax, does Coronado ever miss the final 4 in San Diego? Congrats to the Islanders as well.

Bishop's is getting a great young goalie! I'm sure we'll be hearing more from Bishop's in the next few years. Not to put any pressure on Navlax76 Junior, but wouldn't it be great if he were a 4 year starter in the cage as well. I've got my fingers crossed!
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby navlax76 » Tue May 16, 2006 11:19 pm

Congratulations to St. Margaret's on a great season. Nicely done, Tartan!
Ditto!! Setting the bar high for the Southern Section and for that matter, the rest of SoCal.

...does Coronado ever miss the final 4 in San Diego?
Only the first season that Coach Cade was at Coronado in 2002. That year they lost in the quarterfinals. Can they make it to the finals this year?

Thanks for the comment about Junior. Hopefully he'll be contributing some quality playing time to the Bishop's Middle School team for two years (just turned 12). He remains available for mercenary goaltending with the Lamorinda Lightning at a moment's notice and one helmet still has the "bolts" ready to go. :wink:
navlax76
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby Flandog » Wed May 17, 2006 8:05 am

The DLS goalie (an ex-Lamorinda progeny) had an awesome game last night. He reminded me of Matt Russell - Mickey Jarboe - or Ray Finnegan - or some other fantastic Navy goalie. I hope SRV can hit the corners because those are the only places the ball will leak in.
BIRTH - LACROSSE - DEATH
Flandog
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Navy Goalies

Postby navlax76 » Wed May 17, 2006 9:15 pm

Jarboe was the best Navy goalie I've ever seen play. That said, Matt Russell is not too far behind. Matt chose Special Warfare for his service selection and his training will begin in Coronado at BUD/S. Six kids on the current Islanders team have Dads who are/were on the Teams and there is a better than average chance that we'll see young Matt, after his SEAL training, with West Coast orders and on the sidelines coaching one of the Coronado lacrosse teams.
navlax76
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Next

Return to Southern California