High School NCJLA Club Team in Pleasanton for 2011

Post interesting articles, your philosophies, or any random lacrosse topics.

High School NCJLA Club Team in Pleasanton for 2011

Postby picknroll » Mon May 24, 2010 9:59 pm

I'm pleased to announce that Pleasanton Lacrosse Club plans on fielding a High School JV team in the NCJLA club league for the 2011 season. Priority will be given to former Pleasanton Lacrosse youth players, but the team will also be open to other East Bay players looking for a high school club team. We already have a great coach lined up for this team. He is an experienced coach at the 8th grade level who grew up playing lacrosse in Maryland through high school and also played college lacrosse at Stanford. JV lacrosse will be eligible for any boy that is 9th, 10th, or 11th grader in the 2010-2011 school year. The coach will be starting to pull together players over the summer to begin forming the team and doing some summer practice work. Anyone that is interested in joining this team please send me a PM.
picknroll

Re: High School NCJLA Club Team in Pleasanton for 2011

Postby PLCFan » Tue May 25, 2010 11:07 am

Pick,

What's the purpose of this team?
Is it more for the local kids in the area (Fremont, Castro Valley, Hayward, and private schools ie. Valley Christian) that do not have a High School Option ?

What ever happened to the Freshman team idea at Amador?
Last edited by PLCFan on Tue May 25, 2010 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
PLCFan
1st Line
1st Line

Postby SkylineCoach » Tue May 25, 2010 11:08 am

Are there High Schools out there without programs? Small schools, religious / private? Homeschooled kids? I guess I didn't realize there was any demand.

I've been down that road - we started the Skyline Varsity Club in 09 and the Oakland Tech JV Club in '10. Anytime you want to bounce something around, let me know. It will be great to have another Club HS program in the East Bay!

Ben
SkylineCoach
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby picknroll » Tue May 25, 2010 11:48 am

It's really all of the above.

The JV numbers at Amador and Foothill have been high for the last few years as we typically have 50 to 60 8th graders in our program each year and there's obviously not that many slots in our high school JV programs. The result has been cuts or kids that just don't come out to try out at all as an EBAL program is quite competitive.

Amador tried to help the situation by creating a new freshman JV team like the one at DLS, but that was shot down by the school because of the current buget shortfalls in the Pleasanton schools (even though the program would have been cost neutral).

As mentioned above there are also several Castro Valley area kids in the PLC program and there is a strong coach from over there. He considered starting club HS lacrosse in Castro Valley but that entails creating a club, finding fields, etc.

We are combining forces from these two directions to create a HS Club team sponsored by Pleasanton Lacrosse. There will be both kids from the Castro Valley area along with Pleasanton kids who might fit better into an NCJLA club setting instead of EBAL CIF HS lacrosse. There are also several former PLC players that attend private schools that do not offer lacrosse. The PLC HS club team will be an option for them too. I imagine we'll get a few boys coming down from Danville also as I am sure that the situation at MV and SRV is similar to the Pleasanton schools.

The great thing about this team is that it will provide opportunities for kids to continue playing lacrosse beyond the 8th grade from a variety of situations.

SkylineCoach, we'll take you up on your offer of helping show us the ropes here. I already talked to Beau over the weekend. We'll be looking to you guys for ideas and support. Thanks.
picknroll

Postby Billax » Tue May 25, 2010 12:31 pm

picknroll wrote:The great thing about this team is that it will provide opportunities for kids to continue playing lacrosse beyond the 8th grade from a variety of situations.

Yet another example of PLC tending all the lacrosse needs of its population. You folks - and Skyline too - are to be commended for meeting a need that will only get bigger. Great to see the idea of lacrosse for 14-18 year-old boys, in CIF school geographies, expanding beyond CIF.
Sports don't build character, they reveal it. - Heywood Broun
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby picknroll » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:24 am

Registration is now open for this team. Scroll down toward the bottom at the link below:

http://www.pleasantonlacrosse.com/Registration/Default.asp?n=30180&snid=521610151&org=pleasantonlacrosse.com
picknroll

Postby norcalmom » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:30 pm

What is the consensus about kids coming out of a high school Club team wanting to play college lacrosse? Just wondering if this is a realistic option for some kids who don't have the option of playing high school lacrosse due to their attendance area (or private school) not offering lacrosse as a sport. Do college coaches care about actual high school lax experience vs HS-age Club lax experience, as long as the player is good enough to make it to recruiting camps and make the cut at that level? In some other sports in the US, high school is considered secondary to national-level competition, so I'm trying to figure out this lax world when it comes to college coaches' priorities & biases....
norcalmom
Practice Player
Practice Player

Postby Billax » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:35 pm

norcalmom wrote:What is the consensus about kids coming out of a high school Club team wanting to play college lacrosse? ....

Well, norcalmom, we rarely reach a consensus around here, but a couple of data points may illuminate:

• Henri Lipton, played for the Santa Rosa Lacrosse Club. Seen - and recruited - by Coach Campbell of Middlebury at California Gold. Middlebury is, arguably, the most storied program in NCAA DIII lacrosse. No CIF lacrosse, no travel team, no problem getting offered at the next level. Several NESCAC schools offered. Good as Henri is, (and he's very good) he's not even the poster boy for successful High Schoolers playing club-only ball.

• Bubba Paguirigan - the poster boy - played for the West Valley Redhawks, named MVP Attack in the High School Division (as a rising Junior) at Peter Worstell's 2006 Be The Best camp (the predecessor of California Gold, now primarily a teaching camp with College Coaches). After totally dominating the NorCal Club scene, Bubba skipped his Senior year of High School Club lacrosse and jumped all the way to the Barbary Coast Lacrosse Club with the post-college guys, where, word has it, he more than held his own. Had a number of NCAA offers, but elected to stay close to home and play for NCAA DII Notre Dame de Namur.

Players are players. Coaches don't have a bit of trouble identifying them. Just my $0.02.
Sports don't build character, they reveal it. - Heywood Broun
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby SkylineCoach » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:49 pm

Charlie Kistler, College Prep HS 09, playing at Whitman (MCLA D2)
Devron Randle, Skyline HS (Oakland) 09, playing at Howard (Club)
SkylineCoach
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby DlaxDad » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:24 pm

Play lacrosse -- get on a strong club team -- get a set of highlights up (I recommend in particular lacrosserecruits.com, but there are other services, such as empowertheathlete that provide valuable consulting, if a bit less video work) -- identify the colleges the player would like to attend -- call the coaches -- send the player to camps where the coaches can see him play.

But the three most important factors in having a choice of schools to attend are: (1) get good grades; (2) get good grades; and (3) get good grades.

There's a school that plays lacrosse for everyone who wants to play lacrosse -- getting the most out of the high school years -- learning how to study, and making the most of one's native abilities -- is the way to increase the choices available to the student athlete.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Next

Return to General Topics