College recruiting - Finding the Right School

Post interesting articles, your philosophies, or any random lacrosse topics.

Re: College recruiting - Finding the Right School

Postby Billax » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:47 am

Some resources that will help you choose colleges:

What percentage of entering freshmen graduate in 4, 5, and 6 years? What percentage of students transfer out?
http://www.collegeresults.org/

Will graduation from this school return more than it costs me to go here?
http://www.payscale.com/education/average-cost-for-college-ROI
Sports don't build character, they reveal it. - Heywood Broun
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Re: UC club team recruiting

Postby Billax » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:50 am

I'm hoping quickstick will answer this one, motiv8orr. He has more knowledge on this topic than most anyone.
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby DlaxDad » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:21 pm

My sense is that there are MCLA coaches at recruiting events -- the Adrenaline Challenge lists a dozen who will or have attended, and there are 10 listed for the Adrenaline Showcase, including Cal and UCSB; five or six MCLA coaches are listed as having attended the 2010 California Gold camp. Cal and UCSB seem to be listed at most of NorCal's significant recruiting events, and at other recruiting camps throughout the state. I suspect that it varies with the club program -- the guys from my son's high school team who attended UC Santa Cruz, which is a division 2 MCLA program, applied to the University and tried out after they were admitted, without, so far as I know, any contact with the coach; I know of another player who attended SI, and got into UCLA -- he made the club team easily but I think may not be playing any more due to the rigor of the major he chose. I'm aware of another player considering UCSB who has been in significant talks with the club coach, who has been led to believe the coach has some influence with admissions. I know of another player who was admitted to Oregon, but was cut from the club team, which had 100 kids try out -- the ones who were on the incoming coach's list appeared -- to this player at least -- to have the upper hand. I think that players trying to make ASU's top ranked MCLA squad have found the try outs to be extremely competitive. Again, this is a place where it would be a really good idea for the player to recruit the coach -- be on the list before you go or know that the odds are against you.

I would suggest that for any UC program, or any club program, the prudent thing for any player would be to contact the club coach and get on the coach's radar. Club coaches aren't subject to the same contact restrictions as coaches at NCAA programs, but they also may have much more limited influence on the admissions process. You probably have to get in under your own power -- the coach can tell your player whether he's got any pull with admissions or if your player is going to need any help -- but it's sensible to be in contact with the coach at your chosen institutions before you get there. They can tell you what the process is, whether you need to be on the coach's list, whether you need to submit highlights, or if it's enough just to show up.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Postby quickstick » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:09 pm

Dlax Dad has covered the topic well. I do get around to a lot of recruiting events. I always want quality academic players to know of the opportunities at Cal. You do have to get into Cal under your own power. I can put an applicant into a smaller pool, but he needs the same academic performance. My major point is that if you can gain admission to Cal, you will not have to sacrifice your collegiate lacrosse experience by playing at Cal. In addition you become a member of three great networks. The Northern California Network, The Cal Alumni Network and the Lacrosse Nation. Finally, when you are a California resident, admission to Cal is like getting the Golden Ticket in Willie Wonka. A world class education, awesome connections and a six figure cost savings over the cost of a private university for your undergraduate career.

Enough of my sales pitch.

Other MCLA schools have different approaches. As always find a school where you would want to attend if you could not play collegiate lacrosse.

GO BEARS!
When I make a great play it is because my opponent made me do so.
quickstick
All Star
All Star

Postby motiv8orr » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:48 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I'm trying to make sure my high schooler understands grades get him into college, and not highlight reels. :D
motiv8orr
All Star
All Star

Postby backdoor » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:48 pm

FYI- posts were merged from the High School forum from topics titled "Primer for High Schoolers on college recruitment" and "UC club team recruiting".
backdoor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DlaxDad » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:28 am

I realized I never told the end of the story. Maybe because it's not really the end, it's another beginning. The boy got some looks from some D1 programs, and had some options in D3 from some terrific schools -- some I profiled in this series, and some we never visited. In the end, he went back to Franklin and Marshall for a weekend visit; two weeks later he called Coach Cav and committed. Coach Cav asked him to send in his SATs and transcript so that the coaches could run them by admissions, then they called back and told him to apply ED1. There were some anxious moments -- this is the biggest decision most 17-year-olds have ever made, and this one involves moving 3,000 miles away, and being the only Californian on a team full of guys from Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York who will still be playing every week in front of their parents. The envelope came on December 13, containing a white folder with the legend "WE CHOOSE YOU" on the front in bold blue type. Sweet. This was always the goal, to get a great education, at a school where the boy can play the game he loves, and can be a contributor from day 1.

That was what made the difference for me. For the boy, I think it was the visit, and just being wanted. Everyone wants to go somewhere where they really want you. That, and Lancaster is a little more urban than some of the other areas we visited. When the Colby coach went to Amherst, and the new coach at Colby was a Gettysburg man, one of the boy's travel coaches said he could make an introduction. I talked to the boy about it. "Dad," he said, "you know it's in Maine, right?" 'Nuff said.

I had a visit from Chris Meade last month -- Chris is one of the founders of LacrosseRecruits.com, a Weslyan grad, and a great guy, who really helped us out in designing a search process that would work for the boy. I didn't play an organized sport in college (logged a lot of vertical at Mad River Glen, though), and it always seemed to me that being part of a team could ease the transition from newby to college student. Chris told me that when he got to Weslyan, he'd reached that awkward stage where he'd moved into his room, and he and his mom were trying to figure out how to say goodbye, when three guys came to his door and said, "Hey, you're a lacrosse player, right? We're on the team, too. Want to hang out?" Perfect. Bye, mom.

Hello, Franklin and Marshall. I just can't wait for the 2012 Franklin and Marshall v. Haverford game. The Diplomats vs. the Black Squirrels. Go Dips! (I root for the Dips because I know one of the players . . . . )
Last edited by DlaxDad on Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Postby SkylineCoach » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:06 pm

Love the PS, DLaxDad. You've shared a guide on not only how to choose a school, but how to make solid, informed decisions about life. Congratulations to you all.
SkylineCoach
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby Billax » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:10 pm

DlaxDad wrote:... This was always the goal, to get a great education, at a school where the boy can play the game he loves, and can be a contributor from day 1....

DlaxDad wrote:... This was always the goal, to get a great education, at a school where the boy can play the game he loves, and can be a contributor from day 1....

Amen! I know It was a team effort, so congratulations to the whole family!
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby Billax » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:01 am

Are NCAA DI coaches recruiting high school players too early? The coach who started the trend is saying, "Maybe so." Here's an article on the topic:
http://www.cavalierdaily.com/2011/01/25/at-a-crosse-roads/
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics