College recruiting - Finding the Right School

Post interesting articles, your philosophies, or any random lacrosse topics.

Re: College recruiting - Finding the Right School

Postby Billax » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

This series of posts by DlaxDad is my candidate for Thread of the Year. To all the players who want to keep playing in college - and to all the parents who'd like to leverage their sons' lacrosse skills into admission at a stronger college - DlaxDad's recruiting posts are pure gold.

As I read his posts, I came away with two main thoughts. First, recruiting for the very top players - maybe the top 200 players in the country - is happening earlier than most folks understand. Second, for the other 2,430 players NCAA coaches will need to acquire each year, the person doing the recruiting is the High School player and the person who needs to be sold is the college coach.

If players - and their parents - don't realize, early on, which party is doing the selling and which party is doing the buying, there is ZERO chance of success. So, when DlaxDad says to get your butt outa bed at 6AM to call coaches in the Eastern time zone, he's not kidding. There are 2,430 spots available. Are you goin' after one of them or are you still in bed?

Thanks, DlaxDad!
Sports don't build character, they reveal it. - Heywood Broun
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:29 pm

To add to this, if you aren’t carrying a lot better than a 3.0, none of this means anything, but you can always play lacrosse at Diablo Valley College.
If its worth doing, its worth abusing.
Grizz
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby CVHSJVCoach » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:33 pm

Well said Grizz!! Additionally, I also want to thank Dlaxdad for this post as it was very informative and as a JV Coach, I've already forwarded the information to a couple of families of players that are now Sophmores, have talent and need to understand what the whole process potentially is, wether it's regarding their continued play of lacrosse at the next level or not.

I also want to add to Grizz's comment in that what Dlaxdad is writing about does really ONLY apply to schools that issue scholarships. What I learned from my own son going on to college at Cal State Fullerton where he's now a junior (and sadly this will be his first year NOT playing lacrosse) is that the bulk of the lax here on the left coast is MCLA or club teams. And granted that some of them still recruit, from my best understanding, NONE of them give scholarships. About the best they can do sometimes is help with getting a benificial class schedule so that a player can attend practices and games, or making arrangements for a player to miss a class from time to time, granted they'd have to make up any work, as long as they can get the instructors to agree with it.

It essentially becomes a "pay to play" process as all of the clubs have fees. And these can vary greatly from school to school. Last year, we paid $1,000.00.... but we know other lacrosse families and have heard of fees as high as $2,500.0, and that actually still doesn't guarantee that you're going to play as you still have to maintain grades and like any other team, there can be cuts.

Also to add to Grizz's comments, if you are going to play at DVC, they currently only play a "Fall Ball" scrimage schedule (not only are we friends of one of the coaches, but we know players there as well.) This because the MCLA has told them that if they play during the regular season, it would effect a players eligibility status if they planned to go on to a four year school. In that case, if they played two years at DVC, they would only be eligible to play two years at the next school. The coaches didn't want to effect that and give the players a chance to play more years at their next school.

Despite that, from what I've heard, DVC has been able to field a fairly competitive team!! You only need to think about some of the lacrosse programs in this area that potentially feed players into the DVC program. There are some very talented programs/players that may not immediately, for various reasons as well as grades, not go directly to a four year college but elect to start with the JC route instead....
As you practice, you will play
CVHSJVCoach
1st Line
1st Line

Postby DlaxDad » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:41 pm

Actually, Coach, what I'm writing about applies to Division I schools that offer scholarships, to Ivy League schools that offer no scholarships, to Division II schools, and to Division III schools, none of which offer scholarships. All of these schools recruit. It's to the player's advantage to contact coaches, send in video, to establish a relationship with the head coach or with the position coach, and to bear down in the classroom.

As the second post on page one of this topic indicates, even the top Division I programs don't have more than 12.6 scholarships for the whole program (12 for women). No scholarships in the Ivies.

I think that for most families, viewing lacrosse as a scholarship link is extremely unrealistic. My hope for my own son has been to have lacrosse help him to get a better education than he might be able to get without lacrosse. There are more than 150 colleges that play Division III lacrosse. None offer scholarships. (Only one is in California -- Whittier) The coaches at almost all of those schools are looking right now for players who will graduate in 2011, whose lacrosse abilities and academic abilities -- transcript, SATs, ACTs, community involvement, leadership potential -- match what they are looking for. But with only one Division III school in California, it's up to the player to reach out to the coaches, get onto the radar, and establish a realtionship.

I don't have as much information about MCLA or other club programs, but club programs in the West are getting more and more difficult to get into, as well. Others are in a better position to pass on information about men's lacrosse in the PAC 10 and other Western programs.

But I'm definitely not just talking about scholarship programs.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Postby CVHSJVCoach » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:49 am

DlaxDad wrote:Actually, Coach, what I'm writing about applies to Division I schools that offer scholarships, to Ivy League schools that offer no scholarships, to Division II schools, and to Division III schools, none of which offer scholarships.

But I'm definitely not just talking about scholarship programs.

Sorry Dlaxdad.... When I wrote my post, I DID understand that you didn't mean only scholarships... and meant all those other schools listed above....

But what I was trying to get at is that either way, if a player wants to go on playing lacrosse in college, that as Grizz mentioned, there are other opertunities such as DVC.

As far as the MCLA goes, there are actually WAY more lacrosse teams in the MCLA then in the NCAA. It is the biggest college lax program in the nation, it just doesn't get the same attention. My understanding is that there is no Division I lax programs west of the Mississippi, only Division II and III. And like you said, they don't offer scholaships either...

You're also right about it being hard to get onto some of the MCLA teams as well, ie: Chico, Sonoma State, CAL, Santa Barbara, etc..... However, some of the State Colleges and some of the JC's (DVC doesn't play in the MCLA, but some do) are not as difficult to get on. I know in my son's case, CAL State Fullerton's team was only in it's second year when he started going there and wasn't turning anyone away as long as they could pay the club fees. (You can find out more about what teams are in the MCLA at WWW.MCLA.us)

Also, I'm not 100% on this, but isn't Notre Dame de Mater (not sure on that spelling) in San Jose a DIII school? I'd heard that somewhere.... but it coulda been misinformation... I also understand that there's several DIII schools in Colorado.

Either way Chris, I still want to thank you for the time and effort you put into this very informative post. I think that applies across the board to ANYONE who is interested in going on to play college lacrosse and like I said before, as a JV Coach, I am passing on the information to parents of players on my teams who have any interest in their sons going on into college lax......... GREAT JOB DlaxDad!! =D>
As you practice, you will play
CVHSJVCoach
1st Line
1st Line

Postby DlaxDad » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:12 pm

Thanks, Coach, your kind words are much appreciated.

I think these are the NCAA programs West of the Mississippi:

Denver -- Division I
Air Force Academy -- Division I
Notre Dame de Namur in Belmont, CA -- Division II
Dominican University in San Rafael, CA -- Division II
Grand Canyon in Arizona -- Division II
Whittier College in Whittier, CA -- Division III
Colorado College in Colorado Springs, CO -- Division III

I might be missing some of the Midwest's programs, like Fontebonne.

There are 102 Divsion I MCLA programs. There are 107 MCLA Division II programs.

Here's a link to the page on Laxpower.com that links to lists of all of the NCAA Division I, II, and III programs, and to the MCLA Division I and II programs: http://www.laxpower.com/update10/binmen/rating06.php
DlaxDad

Postby Mexicolax » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:19 pm

In addition to the schools posted above,
Mesa State In Grand Junction Colorado will be NCAA DII next year, and ALSO
Adams State in Alamosa Colorado in 2011.
In the South, Mercer University in Georgia will be going DI in 2011.
It is said that Westminster in Utah will be making a jump to NCAA DII in the very near future. If all these school make the jump there are implications for a new NCAA DII west coast confrence with Dominican U, NDNU, Mesa State, Adams, Westminster and Grand Canyon. Many possibilities opening up for west coast jounior laxers looking to play NCAA lax.

P.S. is Michigan considered west of the missisipi? If so we can include Ohio State, and Detroit Mercy as NCAA DI programs.
Mexicolax
1st Line
1st Line

Postby picknroll » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:10 am

Mexicolax wrote:P.S. is Michigan considered west of the missisipi? If so we can include Ohio State, and Detroit Mercy as NCAA DI programs.

Last time I was back that way Ohio and Michigan were still considerably east of the Mississippi River. Unless there's been some seismic shift in the river I imagine that they're still east. :)
picknroll

Postby DlaxDad » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:34 am

Ohio and Michigan would be considered "non-hotbed" areas, I'd say, but plainly east of the big muddy.

The issue that's being highlighted is the West Coast player's dilemna: You'd like to go to a state school, or stay close to home, but you'd also like to play lacrosse at a high level. If you live in California, there's very little NCAA lacrosse in state, and even if you're willing to expand the definition of "close to home" to be "a plane ride of fewer than, say five hours," there aren't a lot of NCAA programs that fit the bill, although more and more western schools are going NCAA. Depending on where academics fit in, the pool of schools that provide first tier academics, along with an NCAA lacrosse program, is pretty limited. Expanding your criteria from NCAA to MCLA gives you a lot more options west of the Mississippi, but, depending on the club program, there may be a limited amount of help the coach can give you. My understanding of what qualifies as "Jacks or better to open" for the Cal program is a GPA of 3.7 or 3.8. If you can get in to Cal, you can probably gain admission to quite a few colleges and universities that play NCAA lacrosse, too.

One comment on talking to coaches, that illustrates the importance of the player establishing a relationship. We spent the weekend at the Adrenaline Challenge in San Diego, but I only got to talk to one of the coaches from the five or six programs that were there, and with whom the boy has been communicating in a material way. Perhaps I'm insufficiently aggressive (I think most people who know me won't buy that as an explanation [-( ), or perhaps it's that the recruiters all have their own agendas, schedules, and circulation patterns and were a little difficult to catch up to. I hope the ones we wanted to see the boy saw the boy; whether they did or didn't, he's going to be on the phone sounding them out about the tournament.
DlaxDad

Postby WCLLPrez » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:45 pm

Chris,

At recruiting events like Adrenaline, or at any game site for that matter,NCAA Division I & II coaches are not permitted by NCAA rules to make actual contact while the contests are taking place. Division III does not have that same restriction. That could possibly be the reson some coaches may have seemed unavailable or difficult to talk to.

In regards to "the boy", if he was on a coach's list and said coach was there, I am sure they got a look at him.

Gary Podesta
Asst. Coach NDNU
WCLLPrez
2nd Line
2nd Line

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics