Television coverage of MLL

Television coverage of MLL

Postby DlaxDad » Wed May 24, 2006 10:09 am

The season opener between Long Island and Boston was on TV last night, late, on ESPN2 -- found the game while surfing during commercials in Law and Order. It was great to see the game, but what terrible coverage. It seemed like there were only two cameras, one apparently mounted on the Empire State Building (I think the game was played in Long Island) and one close up. It was almost impossible to see the ball from the long shot, even though the ball was orange. There was some terrific lacrosse being played, but I don't know that the visuals are likely to bring any new fans to the sport.

Is this the only kind of coverage MLL is going to get?
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Postby Flandog » Fri May 26, 2006 7:56 am

Dlax. You want to see bad coverage - get some game films from Grizz.

My only explanation is that the MLL coverage at the moment is getting the 3rd or 4th string crews. All their best guys are at the NCAA tourny games last week and this week. Hopefully it will improve. Have a little faith.
BIRTH - LACROSSE - DEATH
Flandog
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Postby DlaxDad » Fri May 26, 2006 8:44 am

There was an article in the Chron, page one of Sports, which was nice, but written by John Crumpacker, who I don't know from Adam, but I had the impression he'd been assigned to do the article as punishment of some sort, as he didn't seem to know the first thing about lacrosse -- said something about "sticks with baskets on the end." Boy, that'll bring in the uninitiated. I'd like to let Conan after him with his stick with a basket on the end and see how he describes it then.

But it's coverage, even if it starts by talking about how minor sports leagues fail in SF.

Here's the link to the story, so no one will be limited to my carping in their analysis:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 01&sc=1000
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Return to Professional