Indoor pro game: good model of lacrosse?

Indoor pro game: good model of lacrosse?

Postby backdoor » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:59 pm

I'm wondering if people think the indoor league is a good or bad example of lacrosse. I think that it's doing a lot for the development of the sport, but is it modeling for prospective and new players bad habits that may transfer to their field game? The slashing, the pushing in the back, the fighting.
backdoor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby norcalcager » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:29 pm

i think indoor is really cool, it's a definate boost to lax here and i think players get the difference, unless they're a little slow :)
norcalcager
2nd Line
2nd Line

Postby laxfolife » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:15 pm

i love what the NLL is doing for the sport of lacrosse, and i went to the stealth game yesterday, but it seems to me that the way they all play is how we, highschoolers still learning the game, are told not to play. what i saw is similar to what norcalcager said, "illegal cross checks, hitting in the back, the players hitting each other with their sticks." what i didnt see was players picking up the ball w/ 2 hands, i didnt see one player actually switch hands besides for going one handed. and also, it seems like the play is slowed down so much with all the transtition. when a player goes down to what seems like a possible fast break he backs off and waits for everyone to switch up. is box lacrosse really that good of a model of what lacrosse really is? because all i see is an unsportsmanlike league that which players dont care about fundamentals.
laxfolife

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:31 pm

The indoor game is a totally different game than the field game. I see them as two totally different sports. Box lacrosse teaches bad fundamentals for the field game. Both are fun to watch and play, but very different

Laxfolife's Box comments

Postby Billax » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:56 pm

I agree with your comments about squad transition slowing down the game. Three squads, FO, O, and D sharply reduce the fluidity of the game. Obviously, these guys are very skilled and have fabulous reaction times, but the slowdown to make squad changes creates a less appealing game than field, to me. The game Saturday was almost 3 hours from start to finish for 60 minutes of action. That ratio is about same same as NFL football, which sport seems very slow compared to field.

BTW, laxfolife, how 'bout registering so you get to keep your name and we get to be sure who you are!
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby laxfolife » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:15 pm

your right too, the NLL is advertising the game as a fast-action sport when in reality with all the penalties and slow transition its slow and gets boring at parts. its also frustrating when you cant tell what the penalty is even when your playing close attention.

im not saying the NLL is a bad league, its doing awesome in exposing lacrosse to new fans, but its also showing to little kids that its ok to fight and throw all or nothing checks and pickup the ball w/ one hand etc etc.
laxfolife
1st Line
1st Line

Postby backdoor » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:45 pm

I'm with you, laxfolife. It's difficult to tell what the penalty is because there're really 2 or 3 things at any given moment that could be a penalty in field lax.

I also agree with a previous post that it IS a different sport and that maybe we just need to not think of it as the same as field lacrosse. Maybe we could give it a different name, like "Laxomania", "MonsterLax", or "la crosscheck".

:)
backdoor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Indoor Lacrosse League

Postby Colltrain » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:21 pm

This indoor league crap sucks. It failed about 10 years ago when the Gaits were playing and it'll fail again. There's too short of afield, too many line changes and the goalies,..... what the hell is going on with the goalies? Go to the NHL if you're going to wear all that stuff. Oh,.... I forgot they're not playing.

With hockey down it would be a great time to exploit Lacrosse. Unfortunately it's being exploited by combining indoor soccer, floor hockey, lacrosse and some leftover astroturf from Vetrens Stadium.

Don't wait until memorial day weekend! Televise some good NCAA D1 games now!
    Colltrain

Postby Lax Daddy Man » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:14 pm

NLL is BOX lacrosse.

Not a combination of other sports. Not some marketing wizardry. Not meant to be played on a surface bigger than what they've got, or with equipment other than what they are using.

Yes there are lots of line changes, lots of stick checks, lots of contact.

Yes the large amount of unexplained penalties, and team captains arguing about penalties forever with the refs, totally takes away from the game.

I think Box lacrosse has been played as is for some period of time.

It is not field lacrosse......................... It is what it is. 8)
    Lax Daddy Man

Postby Flandog » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:00 pm

I'm not a big fan of Box lacrosse but I am changing my tune on this. After watching Matt Danowski of Duke play the game - I really think that the skills that box teaches has its merits. It teaches shot accuracy - quick release - and close-in passing and shooting. The DI canadian kids who come out of box know how to finish. Defense - well that may be a different story.
    BIRTH - LACROSSE - DEATH
    Flandog
    NCLF All American
    NCLF All American

Next

Return to Professional