MLL '09-Does anyone care?

MLL '09-Does anyone care?

Postby Mexilax » Thu May 21, 2009 1:32 pm

Well-has anyone noticed that the '09 MLL season has started? With no team in the Bay Area, does anyone out there in Northern California still care about the league? With the league changing back to the original number of six, the rosters have been contracted and they are stacked! Each team is like an All-Star team of talent, but how well will they be able to play together? I don't know but I'll try to catch some games if ESPN is still planning on broadcasting a game of the week.

My biggest worry-What if some of our former Dragons (and current Stealth) players like it better where they land this summer? How soon will it be before Eric Martin wants to be traded to Colorado where he will be employed by the Outlaws this summer. I'd hate to see the Z-man decide he'd rather go back home and play in Toronto, Rochester, or Buffalo. #-o

Does anyone care? ](*,)
Mexilax
2nd Line
2nd Line

Re: MLL '09-Does anyone care?

Postby picknroll » Thu May 21, 2009 2:16 pm

Apparently there were not enough people that cared enough to buy tickets or else they'd still be here.

I will miss the Dragons myself. The games were good entertainment for lacrosse fans and reasonably priced. It was nice to see some lax stars play in the Bay Area before the Dragons folded. It's too bad the Riptide folded too. That seemed like a litte more established team with more stars.

I wonder if the MLL has considered scheduling some west coast games between the current teams? That would be a good way to keep the MLL connected to the California lax community until expansion opportunity arises again (if ever).
picknroll

Postby DlaxDad » Thu May 21, 2009 2:27 pm

We loved seeing the Dragons at Kezar but never drove to San Jose to see them. The drive's a reason we don't go see the Stealth, either. Plus we really prefer the field game to box, although you have to like indoor lacrosse, with its Brooklyn rules: No autopsy = no foul.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Postby Mexilax » Thu May 21, 2009 3:03 pm

The harsh reality for professional lacrosse in the Bay Area is this-there are only 2,500 fans max that are willing to pay for their product on a consistent basis. This is not a formula for success. The Stealth has learned from this and are now with the new ownership trying to appeal to a broader sports audience. The Dragons unfortunately never learned this lesson!

In speaking with some insiders recently, I was told that the principal owner shot down many great ideas at increasing revenue that could have kept the Dragons afloat while they attempted to expand their audience beyond the lacrosse community. The principal owner remained committed to marketing only to the lacrosse community (who after a few years proved they couldn't or wouldn't support it). This narrow mindedness will never work (and didn't work here) for professional lacrosse for a couple of reasons:

1. There aren't enough lacrosse people alone to make pro lacrosse economically successful
2. Many lacrosse people just aren't fans of the pro game (indoor or outdoor)

The only way a professional lacrosse team can work (especially in this economy) is if they create events that appeal to the mass public and general sports fans. This could be achieved by trying to make the lacrosse game just one part of a bigger, broader event. If the Dragons would have used the Spartan Stadium complex to it's fullest potential they could have:

1. Brought in bands to play before the games, during the games during breaks, and even after
2. Used adjacent fields for tournaments and camps (as with the NCJLA championships that brought good crowds)
3. Created Arts and Crafts style fairs on the adjacent fields to draw in crowds.
4. Lured special events to the adjacent fields to run before the game such as the Chili Cook-Off, BBQ contests, or Luau's

These type of events are happening in downtown San Jose all year round and draw great crowds of thousands! Many events are always looking for better venues and Spartan Stadium is a great place for an event. Anyways, I guess I'm just crying over spilled milk! ](*,)

Eric Martin playing for Denver?! The world is really going to hell in a handbasket! :evil:
Mexilax
2nd Line
2nd Line

Return to Professional