No more Dragons

No more Dragons

Postby motiv8orr » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:44 am

The MLL has shrunk itself down to 6 teams, losing SF, LA, New Jersey, and Philadelphia. The Rattlers will move to Toronto and be Canadian focused.

http://www.majorleaguelacrosse.com/news ... le_id=1275

Good luck to all the players.
motiv8orr
All Star
All Star

Re: No more Dragons

Postby picknroll » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:57 am

That's too bad. I've enjoyed the games the last couple of years. I thought that the San Jose venue was good and might stick. I guess it's a bad market to be starting a sports team.

A side consequence is that the NCJLA was going to return to Spartan Stadium for championship weekend with the Dragons - like last year. That's off now (at least with the Dragons) which is also too bad. I thought last year's championship weekend at Spartan Stadium was good.
picknroll

Postby Mexilax » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:35 pm

I am so totally bummed about the demise of the Dragons which I just found out about today!!! I knew this day would come, I was just hoping it wouldn't be for a few more years. Anyone who has been to games had to have known that this franchise wouldn't last. I only missed a few games in all their short history attending games at both Kezar (which sucked due to the cold), and Spartan Stadium (which totally ruled because I live right down the street). I would look around the Stadium at game time and just wince at the small crowds. Can the SJ Stealth be far behind? (their attendance is just as bad!)

There were so many people in the Bay Area lacrosse community that take/took these franchises for granted. What they fail to realize is once they're gone, THEY AREN'T COMING BACK!!! For sure the teams themselves deserve some blame for failing to appeal to the average sport fan, but they had absolutely no resources. They were trying to survive on a shoestring budget and with only a handful of overworked employees. I desperately wanted them to succeed, but knew they were doomed to fail.

There are so many things that I wish they would have done to get more fans into the stands that I would love to list now, but it's too late so what's the point. I don't think we'll get another chance at a franchise for quite a while (10 years at least), and sadly, I don't see a whole lot of people upset about this which is telling in of itself.

Thank you Eric Martin, Matt Olgelsby, Ryan Powell, Steve Rotelli, Jake Byrne, Liam Banks, and all the other guys who made the Dragons such a wonderful memory for me. I took my wife on one of our first dates to a Dragons game at Kezar and she froze her tush off. I knew she was a keeper after putting up with that! That's a memory that no one can ever take away from me.

Rest in Peace SF/SJ Dragons, I will miss you! :-({|=
Mexilax
2nd Line
2nd Line

Postby norcallaxn » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:09 pm

Yeah - I agree! Once these teams come and go, they are not coming back. The SF group/"mis"management was a joke. A total lack of franchise experience and disorganization. Couldn't even get their ticket programs in order! SJ Stealth worries me more now. How could a franchise that has about 1500-2000 fans have an organization chart that most 100-person corporations don't even have? I have never seen so many chiefs! I don't know how long the generosity of the current owner's checkbook will last, but the economic picture of this team looks very bleak!
Sorry to be so negative as I go the their games and all, it sucks and major changes need to occur to salvage the Stealth. First - get rid of the anchors starting at the top. If you don't sell tickets - gone! If you don't directly market the team - gone! Can't afford you... Let the owner manage the organization - she probably already does most of this anyhow.
If this boat isn't righted quickly, we the fans are the biggest losers. Second are the great players that work so hard for so little.
So, let's get more people out to games to increase exposure to the sport. Take your kids, a date, your mother-in-law (she can sit in the upper deck).
norcallaxn
3rd Line
3rd Line

Postby Mexilax » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:57 am

The failure of these organizations at this point is to market their teams beyond the lacrosse community. They have spent a bulk of their efforts over the years on the lacrosse people who should be the most automatic, dedicated, and passionate season ticket holders. Unfortunately, this has not been the case. Many in the lacrosse community remain skeptical of professional lacrosse.

Instead of saying, OK fine, we are only going to get 3,000 fans from the lacrosse community we need to get the remaining 5,000 plus fans from grass roots efforts to market to sports fans, the Bay Area organizations have spent endless resources trying to "win over" the Bay Area lacrosse skeptics.

They (Stealth and Dragons) have never made a serious effort to reach out to the average sports fan. Instead of looking at what works in other markets and adapting to the Bay Area market, the Bay Area teams have just hoped on a wing and a prayer that it would magically catch on.

Im now wondering, with MLL on the brink of disaster are we now going to see the renewal of efforts by the NLL into the outdoor lacrosse market? Does anyone care? It appears that professional lacrosse is learning the lesson that MLS and the women's professional soccer league (whatever their league was called) learned: millions of soccer moms and legions of little players round the country doesn't necessarily translate to professional league success. I just hope that we don't see pro lacrosse go away completely.
Mexilax
2nd Line
2nd Line

Postby SkylineCoach » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:02 am

I'd honestly rather watch a good college game.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see a thriving professional lacrosse league. My kids loved it and I appreciated that the players signed autographs etc after the games. But the lacrosse itself was uninspiring. The 2-point arc was unnecessary and the game is plenty fast without all the artificial 'speed it up' rules.

Worse than that, the play was a bit like street ball. Sure, throw a bunch of extremely talented players out there together, and their collective lacrosse IQ's will ensure that some great looking plays develop. But none of it ever had the sophistication - all 6 or even 10 really working together - that a great D1 program can have when the guys practice together 5x per week for years. I thought the defenses were pretty slow to slide & even worse to recover, and the offenses only involved 2-3 players at once.

Maybe I'm being too critical, but I guess I'd expected more. Messing with the rules was the worst part, but I think they would have had more real lacrosse fan support (and we then would have spread the word more forcefully among our teams, clubs, etc.) if they'd concentrated more on the game. Nobody is so good they don't need coaching & a game plan.
SkylineCoach
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Return to Professional