Championship game with home field advantage???

Championship game with home field advantage???

Postby CNLAXSTR25 » Tue May 27, 2008 1:26 am

I watched the NLL championship game Portland vs. Buffalo last week. The game was held in buffalo in front of a sold out crowd of at least 15,000 people. It was awesome seeing that many people at a lax event, but it did get me thinking...

In nearly every sport, championship games are held in neutral location or home field advantages only in a best-of series type play.

I felt it gave portland, who played a hell of a game, a crazy disadvantage.

I understand it draws a larger crowd with a home team, but i am just wondering what anyone thinks about home field for a championship, professional game, or if they know the NLL's reasoning
Saves dont sting... the ones that go by hurt.
CNLAXSTR25
1st Line
1st Line

Re: Championship game with home field advantage???

Postby picknroll » Tue May 27, 2008 11:33 pm

CNLAXSTR25 wrote:I understand it draws a larger crowd with a home team, but i am just wondering what anyone thinks about home field for a championship, professional game, or if they know the NLL's reasoning

They have enough trouble getting people to show up to see the home team. Not sure how many locations are going to draw crowds for a box lacrosse game between two visiting teams, even a championship. That's awesome that 15K showed up. I doubt we could have got 5K for a championship a HP.
The more I practice the luckier I get.
picknroll

5/29

Postby laxin94526 » Thu May 29, 2008 2:12 pm

Okay, here is my .02 cents. With the NLL playoff format, it does provide an incentive to finish the season with the best record and get home field advantage. With some cities being able to draw 15,000+ for a box game, that is a big advantage not only on the filed but with another home game helps boost revenue for the home team. Hopefully someday the Stealth will have those kind of crowds. As for a neutral site, I don't think that would fly. Since its indoor lacrosse, we don't have to worry about weather issues like with the Super Bowl (played in February). My only suggestion to the NLL would be to start the playoffs sooner so they don't conflict with the high school and NCJLA playoffs. It would be better to have them in early to mid April. Congratulation to Buffalo on the championship.
laxin94526
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Return to Professional