Ryan Powell and Nate Watkins Traded to the Denver Outlaws

Ryan Powell and Nate Watkins Traded to the Denver Outlaws

Postby rapidfireguy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:48 am

EAT-SLEEP-PLAY. THE FIRST TWO ARE OPTIONAL.
rapidfireguy
All Star
All Star

Postby LaxinLivermore » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:20 am

Good for Ryan and Nate....not so good for the Dragons and Dragon fans. We definitely need a franchise player and it's not clear who that might be. Let's hope the front office has a plan.
LaxinLivermore
All Star
All Star

Postby DlaxDad » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:16 pm

Gotta wonder if the league was behind this. A strong draft is fine, but how do you get adequately compensated for the league's MVP? Draft picks are always chancy; Ryan Powell is solid gold. He's going to a great market, but the Dragons got hosed.
Last edited by DlaxDad on Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Postby hansel » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:17 pm

All the MLL playoff teams last year built into the concept of "team" and didn't revolve around a team superstar. Word out of LA was always that chemistry mattered more than anything in this league and I would bet that this move was made to address that for the Dragons. This years draft is stacked too so hopefully we'll see some talented youngsters out here.
hansel
1st Line
1st Line

Postby quickstick » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:27 pm

Also as these guys do not make a complete living playing professionally, they often ask for trades to teams closer to their other jobs and life, and will hold the I quit card. Teams will trade to get something knowing that they could not keep the player anyway.
When I make a great play it is because my opponent made me do so.
quickstick
All Star
All Star

3/14

Postby laxin94526 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:59 am

On paper, this doesn't sound like a great trade by the Dragon's. But as Quickstick pointed out, teams often trade a player that they may be able to resign due to reasons like being closer to home, other jobs etc. Until professional lacrosse players are making the "big bucks", staying in a city where you are far away from home is not going to last very long. Lastly, I recall reading an article about Mikey Powell that said he was living in Denver. Could this trade be the first step in a Powell brother reunion? (2 out of 3 at least). If Mikey signs with Denver, remeber that you read it here first.
laxin94526
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby motiv8orr » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:35 pm

I copied the clip below from insidelacrosse.com
http://blogs.insidelacrosse.com/2008/03/13/ryan-powell-—-an-outlaw/

REASON
RP says he talked with Dragon GM Doug Locker about leaving San Fran several times, that he felt his time there had come to an end. It seems that Powell had two main issues with being a Dragon: he felt like he didn’t have a chance to compete for a championship and he wasn’t surrounded by the type of players that would help take pressure off of him. With teammates like Mike Law, Jeff Sonke and Josh Sims, that will change.

“That’s what I’ve been looking for the last couple years,â€
motiv8orr
All Star
All Star

Return to Professional