Dragons' marketing?

Dragons' marketing?

Postby RTiedemann6 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:01 pm

I went to the Dragons game vs. Denver last weekend and had a great time. The MLL presents a little different brand of lacrosse, but it was fun. I live up north, just outside Ukiah, so I don't get the marketing campaigns of the Dragons in the Bay Area, but does anyone know what they are doing? They need to build a fanbase to be successful and I was wondering if anyone knew how they are going about it.

Also, I'm going to be in SoCal this weekend so I'm heading over to Carson to check out the Dragons on the road.
RTiedemann6

Postby motiv8orr » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:30 am

The Dragons do some ads in newspapers, they set up tents at youth jamborees, and some posters in shops. I've been called on the phone a few times. Email offers.

Jarrett Park visited a local youth camp, answered questions and handed out discount coupons.

I think the game experience is improved this year. I went to the L.A. game, and there was more cheering and chanting than last year. The food is improved a bit.
motiv8orr
All Star
All Star

Postby picknroll » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:24 pm

Looks like the newest marketing campaign is to include beer with the price of admission:

http://sanfranciscodragons.com.ismmedia.com/ISM2//Text%20Blocks/BL%20Party%20Pack%20Text.jpg

Maybe they figure if you drink enough beer you won't care about the lack of defense. :D
The more I practice the luckier I get.
picknroll

8/17

Postby laxin94526 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:42 am

Thanks to Picknroll for posting the "Bud Light Party Pack" advertisement. I must say that I do think that is a very poor marketing tool for the Dragons. I should say that, like with the Stealth, I do want the professional teams to be sucsessfull in the bay area. They bring an opportunity for the youth of the bay area to see, meet and learn from professionals in this sport. Another example, without the Stealth bringing Matt Ogelsby to the bay area, we would not have his All West Lacrosse camps here to teach our youth players. Although I don't have a marketing back round, my thoughts are the Dragon's (and Stealth) should be marketing to the kids of our area and not the adults. NCJLA is growing with approximately 5,500 kids playing last season (plus another 1,000 or so high school kids playing). Lacrosse is not a sport that most people would come see unless they have a personal interested (my kids plays etc.). They should be marketing toward families. I would suggest a ticket promotion like Mom and Dad buy tickets and the kids come free. Or any kid wearing a lacrosse jersey gets a discount on tickets. The Dragons should also go after clubs with there marketing. I know when the Stealth hit town, the Scorpion club worked with them so that all club members purchasing season tickets were all in the same section. This had multiple benefits. You knew alot of the people around you, it kept it a family atmosphere in section 115 (no drunken idiots) and also when the kids wore their Scorpion jerseys to the games you could see all the orange from anywhere in the HP Pavilion. Part of the blame might go the the MLL for having Bud Light as a league sponsor. I know this was a major reason why the Dragon's play at Kezar stadium (so they can sell Bud Light there).
laxin94526
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Return to Professional