New MLL teams on the west coast

New MLL teams on the west coast

Postby Flandog » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:14 pm

Did you guys see the news post at Laxpower.com about LA getting a new MLL franchise in '06? It mentioned 3 other cities. Do any of you guru's have any inside intel?

I've heard Denver and Seattle. Will the bay area get the last expansion team?
BIRTH - LACROSSE - DEATH
Flandog
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Postby Grizz » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:02 pm

Flandog,

I haven’t heard, but look under the topic "A while back, i heard" , on this forum for a discussion of this.
Grizz
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby Flandog » Fri May 13, 2005 1:57 pm

OK - this is the first time I have seen a list of cities under consideration. From Laxpower.com:

The Wild West Tour is part of "Project West Coast", the MLL's exploratory expansion initiative, and plans to match the nationwide growth of Major League Lacrosse by adding a West Coast Division of four new teams by the start of the 2006 season. On March 9, 2005 the MLL awarded Los Angeles the league's first expansion team, owned and operated by AEG. Three more expansion cities will be announced throughout the summer. Markets under consideration include Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco and Seattle.

Figure Denver and Seattle are already shoe-ins. Its left up to Chicago / Dallas / SD / SF. SD is too close to LA, so they're out. The sport isn't super huge in Chicago yet. Throw them out. SF, which is close to SJ already has NLL - so throw us out. It may go to Dallas. Damn it. Grizz - do something about this. Does anyone, ANYONE?, have any inside intel on this?
BIRTH - LACROSSE - DEATH
Flandog
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Postby Grizz » Fri May 13, 2005 2:25 pm

I don't have my map close, but are Chicago and Dallas really on the West Coast? I thought they were a 1000 or so miles east of us. But I have been out of school for a long long time so I could be wrong.

I don’t think NLL would push MLL out of our area.
Grizz
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby Flandog » Fri May 13, 2005 2:41 pm

A little insight: east coast people do not believe that anyone lives between the Mississippi River and California - except for maybe Colorado during ski season. So to them - it's all the west coast. Most think Pittsburg is a western city...... People who live in NYC, specifically Manhattan, believe that if you can't walk out your front door at 3am, walk to the corner, get a pack of cigarettes, and be back in 3 minutes -- you live in the wild west with no electricity and tumble weeds rolling down your street.
BIRTH - LACROSSE - DEATH
Flandog
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Postby Grizz » Fri May 13, 2005 4:29 pm

A true "International" City.
Grizz
Forum Father
Forum Father

Postby Flandog » Mon May 16, 2005 10:43 am

In the words of the immortal John Rocker (RP of the Altanta Braves)....."I don't like New York.....too many foreigners". Did he also throw in a zinger about minorities as well? I'm not sure.
BIRTH - LACROSSE - DEATH
Flandog
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Postby JRotty12 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:58 am

all i know is there will be an MLL LA team. I can finally go to some games without a 450 dollar plane ticket! Plus Casey Powell told me that since he lives in LA now, he'll be playing for them. Lets see if he lives up to his word because i doubt his brothers will follow.
HEART, HUSTLE, HIT
UC Davis Lacrosse #22
JRotty12
All Star
All Star

Postby Flandog » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:42 am

Big announcement coming this weekend at the All-Star game. They will name Denver as another city. I don't know about the other two........ Seattle thinks that they are in....... we'll see.
BIRTH - LACROSSE - DEATH
Flandog
NCLF All American
NCLF All American

Postby Billax » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:46 am

Yesterday I heard a Lacrosse Camp director say that the Bay Area would have an MLL team next year. I guess we'll know soon.
Billax
Forum Father
Forum Father

Next

Return to Professional