Postby PAPirate » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:31 pm

eww George michael hahaha
Stevenson Pirates Lax
UNC Lax #2
PAPirate
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby LaxDad » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:46 pm

Why can't the collegiate women players put on the helmet and pads and play the same game the men do? They play hockey and rugby in college. I see no reason why the can not play lax by the same rules as the men in college. It would certainly make for a much more exciting game in my opinion. Has there been any movement to change the rules?
LaxDad
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby DlaxDad » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:30 pm

Great question, LaxDad. I admit, I haven't watched a lot of the women's game, and what I've seen I don't really understand. If the women can play ice hockey, you'd think they could safely play full contact lacrosse. My four years younger brother has a 12 year old daughter who's dying to play full contact. She'd be great. She should be able to play it. My $.02.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Postby Scorekeeper » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:55 am

Having started out watching women's lacrosse rather than men's, I found that it had a wonderful sense of maximizing the finesse aspects of the game -- accurate ball placement, quick body moves and field strategy. All of these are present in the men's game, of course, but these are often no more important than defenders' body hits, faceoffs dominated as much by strength as technique, long stick defenders' swipes, etc.

Frankly, the women's game focuses on what differentiates lacrosse from football or rugby and that's what I like about it.

Plus, my daughter is 5'4" and 100 pounds, average for high school, petite for college. I am happy that she was able to play four years for Acalanes Club varsity (before CIF) and three years for USC. When I see the size of the women who play rugby, I'm happy that there is a sport where women of petite-to-average size can do well with skill and hard work.
Scorekeeper
All Star
All Star

Re: I can't stand it any more...

Postby Chris Topez » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:01 am

I know and just imagine that every woman's voice is attached to some nubile body. So, howz it possible.
Chris Topez
Fan
Fan

Postby Coach Jen » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:26 am

This is such an old, old thread... can't believe I am commenting on it.

Helmets and pads? Ugh! I am with Scorekeeper. The women's game depends on finesse and coordination more that brawn. I like it that way. Played well, it's beautiful. I would be so disappointed if the rules were changed to mirror the men's. Maybe that's why you posted that, so you could get a post on here by a woman. Funny, there is not shortage of posts by yours truly on here. The PC thing obviously passes way over my head, though. Happily: I am pretty sure I can comment on this topic without upsetting anyone... never know, though... I get my hand slapped on here a bit (I'm a big mouthed frog!)

I do think that our bodies are not meant to do the same things as men's are meant to do. for example, our bones are less dense. (Thus the prevalence of osteoporosis in geriatric women over men). It's a life long physiologic fact, though. The rules allowing so much contact in the men's game would likely lead to more injuries. Bone density can be significantly increased with proper intense weight training regimens. But, I am of the opinion that there would be many, many more severe injuries if the girls played "full contact"... even if it was put off until college. These would likely be bone breaking injuries.

Our Estrogen levels are higher, and increased levels of estrogen parallels an increase in ACL tears in female athletes (I will not suggest that my daughter to go on the pill for this reason, when the time comes) The contact allowed in the girls game is tough enough on them. Did you ever notice that they start putting on womanly curves and a bit of weight around 17-18? Well, this parallels an increase in estrogen. Add the pill to it (which happens at that age alot).... and magically, there are more ligamentous injuries to the feet, knees and ankles. Add more contact? EVEN more injuries would result.

Girls like to keep their teeth. They don't like cuts and bruises all over their bodies. They like to look like girls. Even athletic girls like to look like girls. They often like playing in a skirt. It's comfortable to play in. They also like to smell nice. I have not met 1 girl, in all my years of playing and coaching who didn't make a thiz face when presented with the idea of stinky pads and a stinky helmet to put on. Keeping goalie equipment stench free is a real challenge. If they all had pads and helmets that smelled them up, I think less and less girls would want to play.

Finally: at the junior and even high school age, girls don't want to play goalie. It's really hard to find kids to play goalie. They don't like it because it hurts. I cannot see it motivating to most middle school and even high school girls to see a college player getting the crap kicked out of her, and saying, "Wow, mom, I wanna do just what she is doing!" All they might see then would be playing in high school and running, as fast and as far away from the game as possible. OR: worse: "Jesse, mom, I'm gonna hafta take testosterone or steroids to get big enough to with stand that kind of play? Will you take me to en endocrinologist? Please?" And, finally, "Can you get me a power-lifting coach so I can put on unnatural amounts of muscle and really jack my physiology?"

And, really finally: As I post over and over: the girls game is getting rougher and rougher. The games I saw this last week were bothersome to me for that reason. More concussions. More nasty, apparently purposeful injurious slashes than I could stomach. Smack talk that left our girls feeling raw and verbally abused. (no teams mentioned- aren't you proud of me Griz? LOL). I sometimes wish for mini helmets to protect their noggins (poor little freshman got clobbered this weekend).... But: alas: THAT and many of these injuries would not happen if the refs called a controlled game, and yes carded for violent play PLUS for smack talk as well...

Just my 2 cents... and pretty PC for me, huh?
Coach Jen

Nothing Good comes easy...
Coach Jen
All Star
All Star

Postby Scorekeeper » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:02 pm

OK, PAPirate, I'll throw one out: "How about them 'Heels?" As long as we're talking about women's college, let's talk about women's college.

Got to watch North Carolina beat Northwestern -- really clobber Northwestern -- in the second half of that game in Evanston on ESPNU, as I recall. What a game. That Laura Zimmerman gal was amazing, scoring seven points, and only a sophomore!

And Cannizzaro, a freshman, was a threat every second. Two different teams, first half and second half. Tied 12-12 at the half, it was all Tar Heels in the second half with Ripley amazing in the cage after a shaky first half.

Dowd of Northwestern may have scored the most goals -- seven -- but the UNC defenders shut down all the other Wildcat scoring threats in the second half and eventually figured out how to keep Dowd from rolling on Ripley. Great game!

Let's see how the ACC finals go. Either way, we should see UNC in the NCAA finals, probably a repeat of this match up.
Scorekeeper
All Star
All Star

Postby DlaxDad » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:00 pm

Coach Jen wrote:
Girls . . . don't like cuts and bruises all over their bodies. They like to look like girls. Even athletic girls like to look like girls. They often like playing in a skirt. It's comfortable to play in. They also like to smell nice. I have not met 1 girl, in all my years of playing and coaching who didn't make a thiz face when presented with the idea of stinky pads and a stinky helmet to put on. Keeping goalie equipment stench free is a real challenge. If they all had pads and helmets that smelled them up, I think less and less girls would want to play.

So I guess women hockey players and women rugby players and women basketball players aren't girls? This is just the sort of slave-to-advertising image nonsense that the women's movement has been struggling against for decades. What does it mean to "look like a girl?" IMHO it just means being a woman, and there's a huge range of normal -- it's all good. In fact, it's not about "looking" like any particular image, unless you've just bought Madison Avenue/Hollywood/mass media body/face imagery mind control wholesale.

That explanation of the women's game, to quote a great fictional American, Col. Henry Potter, is a bunch of horse hockey.
DlaxDad

Postby DlaxDad » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:28 pm

And don't the bone density and estrogen arguments apply equally to ice hockey and rugby, which women play without rule changes?
DlaxDad

Postby Coach Jen » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:00 pm

Dlax dad... sure, but consider the audience. Basketball doesn't involve a stick. Neither does rugby. Ice hockey is a given (unless you fall through the ice, which I have done repeatedly, and then extra body fat is a beautiful thing, and pads might be too). One can play hard, and still retain the rules, and yes, wear a skirt. Just my 2 cents...
Coach Jen

Nothing Good comes easy...
Coach Jen
All Star
All Star

PreviousNext

Return to Women's College