Cal Poly Club Teams

Cal Poly Club Teams

Postby lacrosselover » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:33 pm

I got the opportunity to visit Cal Poly a couple of weeks ago and watch most of their A team game and all of the B team game against SDSU. I was really amazed at the speed and overall stick skills of these college girls compaired to the high school level.....The Poly girls from the A team won by 9 or 10 points and they looked pretty solid, however SDSU did not appear to be much of a challenge, at least in that game. The Poly B team did not have such an easy game, it was neck and neck to the end, but they ended up scoring 4 or 5 goals in the last 5 minutes to secure the win...the teams were evenly matched, shows what momentum can do! That team also had an incredible amount of heart, which really showed on the field. It is my understanding that both the A and B team are undefeated in their league games this year. This was my first experience watching college level women's lacrosse, really great to see!
lacrosselover
Practice Player
Practice Player

Postby Scorekeeper » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:56 pm

If you missed the earlier post on another part of the forum, the four freshmen on the "A" team are all from the East Bay -- Cabellon and Park from Miramonte, Virta from SRV and Royer from AV. The SLO "B" team freshmen include Potmesil from Campo and Porter from Foothill; their coach is Alyssa Barker, the great former Miramonte defender and SLO alum. The "B" team went undefeated this year!

Saw No. 3 (now No. 2) Maryland play No.11 Stanford last Saturday. Cal Poly's best player last year transferred to Maryland to play with her sister (the Jones sisters from Poway).

Speaking of Maryland, their center, Dana Dobbie, scored 7 goals on Stanford plus an assist, and is the best college player I've seen in 12 years and I've watched Northwestern in person last year and this year. Dobbie was 1st team All-American last year. Watch her in the NCAA playoffs this year and you'll see what I mean. She's 24 or 25 years old, from Canada. .
Scorekeeper
All Star
All Star

Postby lacrosselover » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:56 pm

Congrats to the Cal Poly B team girls for taking first place in Div. II WWLL. They went undefeated this year. The Poly A team lost the championship game in Div. I 12-11 in double OT against UC Santa Barbara, what a heartbreaker! I spent some time with these players last weekend in Chico and I can say for certain that they are an amazing group of young women on and off the field.
lacrosselover
Practice Player
Practice Player

Return to Women's College