2008 MPSF Women's Lax is going to be GREAT!

2008 MPSF Women's Lax is going to be GREAT!

Postby fan-of-lax » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:21 pm

MPSF division is producing some very high caliber Lax. 2008 is proving to be a real break-out year.

CAL played Northwestern tough in their season opener...Stanford squeaked out a win against Oregon...Oregon...beats the 18th team in the country (Richmond)...this week...CAL beats Stanford... Denver is probably the cream of the crop and are is the coaches choice to win the conference this year...and yes are ranked in the top 15 in the Country...Davis is playing competitive for portions of their games and have yet to put together two solid halves...If they do...they are improving dramtically over last year (this is their first official year at the D-1 level)..Davis should show very well in non league play...St Mary's is building a foundation with a new coach...

Please support these teams by attending a game. Any gal that is considering playing LAX at the D-1 level should be contacting these coaches. I know UC Davis's coach, Elaine Jones, has been extremely successful in pursuing top talent on the west coast...The others have been sporadic...showing just enough interest to "say" they recruit our here...but don't really do it in earnest....
fan-of-lax
1st Line
1st Line

Postby 5k » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:36 pm

The gap is closing fast on west coast vs east coast girls. Triple Threat has already done very well in head on tournaments over the summer. And the Lax national power rankings from last year are a joke, The top ebal teams pushing mid 350 for the nation. Ebal girls went to Univ Oregon camp over summer and took it to the other girls from the other states. They played the incoming recruits to a stalemate. What does that tell you.
2nd Line
2nd Line

Postby gravelrash » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:31 pm

I think you're right 5k. The Triple Threat team that went to the Stanford camp this fall played their incoming recruits and only lost by three goals. The Triple Threat team had a few 8th graders, and one 7th grader on their roster! These pre-high-school KIDS were hanging with the incoming freshmen of a Top 25 college program. Stanford has COMPLETELY ignored the talent in their backyard and sadly that game probably won't wake them up. They refuse to recruit from California. Cal Berkeley and St. Mary's have grabbed an occasional player here and there. But UC Davis has been the only D-1 program to consistently woo the top California talent. Cal Poly isn't D-1 but has seven straight club national titles with a roster full of California kids. We still don't have the depth of east coast programs, but when our ELITE players band together they can play and win with top national club teams. Our best are just as good as the best around the country. It's a shame the best D-1 teams still ignore that. They're blinded by the fact that the best players don't play for their Cal Elite or Cardinal Elite teams - so they don't get them unless they look for them. Those programs are crap... an afterthought for the college coaching staffs, and a way for them to justify trips to national tournaments to watch and recruit kids from the east coast. If they actually put the kind of thought and effort into their programs that Triple Threat does they could have loads of talent at their fingertips.
gravelrash
All Star
All Star

Postby 5k » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:34 pm

You are right on the mark. Very well versed on this subject. Have been through the process with my daughter. Triple Threat wasn't really going when we joined one of those big clubs. Private conversation sometime would be appropriate.
2nd Line
2nd Line

Postby Timbalaned » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:54 pm

Poly won't win this year, but another west coast team will. UCSB, put your money on it now.
UO 2002-2006
Napa Force Coach 2007, 2009
Timbalaned
1st Line
1st Line

Postby Scorekeeper » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:01 am

Cal Poly SLO had its best player transfer to Maryland to play alongside her sister and several other good returning players recruited to transfer to D-I schools as well, so I hear. Coach also moved on.

Four freshmen made the SLO "A" team, all from the East Bay: Ashley Royer from AV, Addie Virta from SRV and Allegra Cabellon and Kelli Park from Miramonte. And its "C" team coach, Alyssa Barker, was a former multiyear all-DFAL player at Miramonte, one of the best defensive players the East Bay has seen.

Also: HOW ABOUT THAT STANFORD TEAM LAST WEEK! Wins over two Top 10 teams move the Cardinal into the Top 10 itself . . . with only one California girl (a relative unknown from Marin county) on the roster. A new coach will no doubt change that in the not too distant future. After all, the Northwestern coach has shown that she can take the best athletes on campus who did not play lacrosse in high school and turn them into all-Americans!
Scorekeeper
All Star
All Star

Postby fan-of-lax » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:33 am

Three schools (Stanford, Denver and Oregon) all play in the MPSF (Mountain Pacific Division) and all are ranked in the top 20!...CAL is playing well also. I believe the girl at Stanford from Marin was a walk-on...They have not recruited anyone on the West Coast. I don't expect a real change in Stanford's recruiting as the Co-Coaches were the former assistants under the former coach...UC Davis had two big wins over east coast schools last week (Holy Cross and Quinnepiac). The interesting thing there is that they are competing with predominately west coast talent...and have at least 6 freshman (5 starting and 6-7 actually playing and contributing every game)...Davis does not have the "image of the Pac-10 participants...but they have always been very active in the West and what a great college, town and the program is going to be rising.....The one school in the MPSF that needs to step it up from a competition standpoint.... is St Mary's....But someone looking for a small school in a wonderful setting can not go wrong there...

Any girls that have the desire to compete at the D-1 level should be contacting these insititutions respective coaches...Other club programs offer great opportunities to those wanting to stay in the game but not have such a commitment...The only problem is that at the club level...you (player and parent) are the source of financing for all the travel, coaching etc....

If your good enough...see if you can get the school to pay your way through a scholarship and play D-1...You only live once!
fan-of-lax
1st Line
1st Line

Postby Scorekeeper » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:09 pm

On the subject of D-I and D-II play, don't miss the New York Times article on scholarships for college athletes which ran a few days ago. You can still find it on www.nyt.com, then clicking on "sports" on the left hand column and looking for the "most e-mailed" articles on the right -- it's currently ranked number two.

This gist of the article is that the money available for athletes in sports like lacrosse is a lot less than one would expect. Apart from football and basketball at the D-I level, there are few scholarships available and they pay much less than many parents think. They amount to an average of $8,700 per year, a fraction of the cost of private colleges (I'm currently spending $49,000 a year to send my youngest, a non-athlete, to Stanford), and in many cases as little as $2,000-$3,000 a year for sports like swimming or volleyball.

They have some examples by sport for men and women. Forget about the so-called "free ride": only football, basketball and ice hockey (beats me) get $20,000 or more, and all of these are year-to-year; you're injured and you're on your own.
Scorekeeper
All Star
All Star

Postby fan-of-lax » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:51 am

Great point and very interesting. By the way congratulations on having your daughter attend Stanford...Being an Ole Blue...that is very difficult to say..I assume your family income is not below the $70K a year or so that would allow your daughter to attend that school free now??? :o

I think another factor that has not been considered besides the $$ is the fact that the ability to play D-1 lacrosse at some of these fine institutions is a means of actually getting accepted and attending....whereas if they were applying simply on their academic merits they would be simply pooled in with the masses and have little to no chance....This more than the "partial scholarship" (even though every bit helps)...is a bigger reason to go D-1.
fan-of-lax
1st Line
1st Line

Return to Women's College