D1 NCS

Re: D1 NCS

Postby CaliTiger83 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:11 pm

Okay....FHSrent called it! Should be a good final.
CaliTiger83
3rd Line
3rd Line

Postby laxtree » Thu May 26, 2011 7:46 am

Just saw in the paper that Foothill goalie had more saves last night (8 saves) with the Cal goalie having 6 - in a game that only had a one goal differential (8-7). Someone wrote here the other day that the Foothill goalie was a first year goalie (field player before?). Looks like she's transitioned over to being a goalie that makes a real difference on the field.
laxtree
3rd Line
3rd Line

Postby maxlax » Thu May 26, 2011 10:44 am

The cal goalie actually had 8 saves
maxlax
2nd Line
2nd Line

Postby laxtree » Thu May 26, 2011 11:45 am

I just checked with the people who took stats at the FHS/Cal game last night. As the home/host team, they told me that prior to the game, they went and asked the Cal coaching staff if they would have someone representing Cal at the stats table and the coach said that there wouldn't be anyone. From what I understand, the FHS stats people then said to the coach it would be helpful to have someone from Cal working the stats table with them (i.e. confirm jersey numbers for goals made/assists, etc/compare stats) but the Cal coach said that wouldn't be necessary - and to ask their coaching staff any questions. I also understand that there were no questions from the Cal coaching staff after the game regarding any of the stats taken. In other words, no one from the Cal coaching staff came to confirm and/or dispute any stats taken by the host team stats people.

So net net ...the Cal goalie had the number of saves that were officially counted by the host team stats people at the game....which was 6. And not your unofficial count of 8. The FHS stats person that I talked to did say that one of the FHS shots to the Cal goalie hit and bounced off one of the posts (which everyone heard)...and given this, they did not count this as a goalie save.... so perhaps that is one of the miscounts in your unofficial total of 8.

Maxlax, I would only add one other thing....my post earlier today was about the FHS goalie and how she has converted in a very short time from a field player to a really good goalie. Somehow, in your usual selective interpretation - you JUST HAD to try to turn it into something about Cal....just like you did during the week of April 25th when you decided to pick on the last team in the league - Livermore - by saying how Cal held them to just 5 shots on goal (pasted below is my 4/28 response to your post with your slam against Livermore quoted in the opening lines of my post). So hopefully, if you decide to continue in this forum you can make more of an overall contribution to a positive discussion....instead of continuing your blinded sided focus slanted only toward Cal.

by laxtree » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:37 pm
Not sure I fully understand the intent of this previous post - "In the cal vs Livermore game cals team was able to allow Livermore to have 5 shots on goal. Was the intent to say that Cal was being nice by allowing Livermore 5 shots on goal? Or was the intent was to say that Cal held Livermore to only 5 shots?

Regardless of what was the intent.......Livermore is a school with a fledging lacrosse program. They haven't won a lot of games - but they are a team of players, parents and coaches who are out there on a daily basis working on their game.

So if anything is posted here about Livermore - hopefully it is with the intent to be supportive of the Livermore team......versus calling out how an opponent does versus this team.
laxtree
3rd Line
3rd Line

Postby NotthePatientOne » Thu May 26, 2011 1:31 pm

Well..... ouch.

I do not want to talk goalies on this link but congrats to Foothill's for the win. Stats right or wrong, percentage was better than Maxlax. Was it the difference, no, probably not. I think too much Kleins would be the factor. I noticed that they have the confidence to hestitate/pause right in front of the goal (even with all the defenders around them) to make the goalie commit, thus giving themselves a larger target area.

I guess, yes losing sucks, at least with Amador losing by more than Cal did on their final game, at least you don't have to leave crying because it was not just a one point loss. At least there is no last game torment. We got outplayed, go home. Cal could have won, off by one goal, now gets to think about the one or two plays that would have put them in the final for the entire offseason. Horrible outlook yes but greatful that my kid is not dwelling on her loss.

Good luck to Foothill, I will not wish luck for CHS, they do not need it.
NotthePatientOne
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby maxlax » Thu May 26, 2011 5:18 pm

Laxtree I'm sorry if u think I am one side but I'm not always I have supported foothill and made general comments but cal is my team I will state the facts about cal and what I feel. I have heard u do the same thing as well as others on this blog so don't go attacking me for what I have said but if u do don't forget to get made at everyone else for be one sided too.
maxlax
2nd Line
2nd Line

Postby laxtree » Thu May 26, 2011 7:47 pm

Maxlax – it’s a forum. It’s meant for discussion. So just to be clear, I’m not asking you to not participate. My comment was a request for you to try to make a more positive contribution to these online discussions. And as you seem to not have captured that message and/or not captured how you could better do this, here are some specific suggestions:

1) Don’t gloat – Someone earlier today in this thread says losing sucks. Yup, it does. And Livermore went 2-15-1 this year, meanwhile I believe your beloved Cal was 14-8. So just walk a mile in someone else’s shoes before you post. For every win that you had (14) ….just imagine how you would have felt if each one of those wins had been a loss (like Livermore’s 15 games). Now on top of that lovely feeling, there’s this MaxLax person who then comes on an online forum to gloat about how many shots their team was able to hold your team to. Hmmm, doesn’t feel as nice anymore ….does it?

2) Don’t divert a topic thread just because you just feel that you have to insert some random thought about Cal into discussion topic threads. Again, it's an online discussion about high school girls lax - not just a rant about Cal.

3) Get your facts straight – anyone can sit at a game and write down whatever stats they want (well ok, not for goals), but certainly for saves. So either work with the people who are officially taking stats at a game and/or use the official stats from the game. Once the game is over and the stat book is signed by the ref, those are the game stats. Not whatever you personally counted.

4) Writing – in your last post here, I can’t decide if you are suggesting I should “get made” via the Mafia version or via the MTV version. So I guess I’ll have to decipher your comment “don’t forget to get made”- as don’t forget to get mad. (note: I enjoyed that one almost as much as when you wrote "obserd" for absurd the other day). Anyway, I definitely would suggest you do a better spell check before you post, as others have already called out being confused by your spelling/writing.

Per your last comment about other people being one sided. Yes, there are people who are on this forum who definitely are in favor of one team or another. But they don’t do it in a malicious way.
laxtree
3rd Line
3rd Line

Postby DlaxDad » Thu May 26, 2011 9:23 pm

Laxtree,

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I don't follow the girls' game closely, although I have a niece who plays for Howard County, MD's high school team. But I do read just about everything on this forum.

I agree with you. It is a forum. We try really hard to make everyone welcome. One way to help do that is to remember who are the adults and who are the students, and to try to cut each other a little slack. I'm not sure how it helps civil discourse to rip a kid's spelling, or to belittle his or her posts, or what object is advanced by quoting an April 28 post that the poster deleted and apologized for. MaxLax started this thread, and maxlax's voice needs to be included, unless you want this forum to be nothing but lax parents who won't make room for the kids who actually play this game. Maxlax seems to me to be finding her or his voice, and has made sincere apologies for things that have been taken badly. And we want maxlax on line. Maxlax is a Cal partisan. I'm a Miramonte fan. Everyone on the boys' forum knows it. We work around it.

You don't have to agree with everything maxlax, or any other poster says. But if the forum is going to work, you need to find a way to express disagreement that doesn't belittle the other posters. I've found raising my own kids sufficiently difficult it's kind of a breath of fresh air to be someplace where I don't have to be dad. You should give it a try. If you really, really need to point someone in the right direction, there's always the PM function.

Normally I use the PM function myself to convey this message, but it looked to me like everyone could use a deep centering breath. And I want maxlax to know that maxlax's posts are welcome here. To behave otherwise would be obserd.

DlaxDad
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

Postby FHSrent » Sat May 28, 2011 12:34 am

OK: I have to laugh outloud. Its the night after the final, and I came home to read this, and laughed. The season is now over.

Laxtree: the fact that CAL showed up without a stats person to a semifinal game is incredible. That is not Mad Lax's fault. Nor is it their coach's fault. They both have jobs to do, and the fact that the parent did not keep their word and show up to do their job is not good, Your word is your word, and when a parent makes a promise to a group of kids or 1 kid, it sets a bad example when the word is not kept.
Read below on that.

The rest of what you say rings true to me, to a degree, so, I appreciate the straight forward way in which you right (yes, that was a joke). The problem is, MadLax is one of the few kids who posts on here, instead of crying in their milk about being criticized. And DOES apologize and take responsibility for things she realizes later were said the wrong way. That is the way she learns. I applaud her guts.

I too, feel protective over the LIvermore and Granada teams (especially the kids and parents on those teams that are so nice... which appears to be a much higher percentage than what I see in the other schools around here... sorry, my opinion). Humility and kindness are huge for players to learn. They learn these things from their parents. :)... back to the keeping your word about doing stats, etc.

Granada and Livermore have almost all 1st year players on their JV teams, and even some 1st year players on their Varsity teams. The other teams around here have 4th and 5th year players on JV some times. A few years back, I counted up the combined years of playing experience on FHS vs Granada (when I knew all of them for sure) and FHS had 126 years of combined experience, and Granada had like 36 that year. FHS is not much different than the other EBAL teams. All numbers go up, but catching up is hard. GHS and LHS need to be commended on their guts alone to keep working as hard as they do, without the folks from the 680 corridor having an attitude of superiority. One time, at a GRanada game, I heard a parent from another team call GHS a ghetto school. WOW... I just think we need to be more supportive of those teams, and never critical (unless a player is nasty, and even in that case, their frustration is a bit understandable).

On the stats thing. I find in amazing that parents allow a coach to spend countless hours coaching their kid for 4 months, for $0.20/hour, and can't even show up to a commitment like doing stats. Is it really that hard? Our stats people (love them, bless their hearts) show up every game and are even nice to the other team. Just because your kid is injured does not mean you don't show up to a play off stats table (not CAL, another team this year) And just because you had a bad day at work does not mean you need to be rude to that stats people on the other team. It's part of sportsmanship: and it's important. You can smile at the other stats parents, be friendly, and yes, even help them out when they don't see what you saw.

Well, CHS won tonight. They played a good game. They are a good team, with a great coach. Foothill never gave up. I was happy that I did not see the FHS girls crying at the end. They did the best they could, and that is all that we can ask. OH: and the goalie played GREAT- green and all! :)
Last edited by FHSrent on Sat May 28, 2011 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
FHSrent
1st Line
1st Line

Postby DlaxDad » Sat May 28, 2011 10:55 am

FHrent and laxtree:

Please check your PMs
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
DlaxDad

PreviousNext

Return to Women's High School