Week of May 9 - Final Week!

Re: Week of May 9 - Final Week!

Postby CaliTiger83 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:36 pm

Carondelet v. AV was closer than score suggests. Was a 2 point game at half, CHS 8-6 over AV and only a 3 point lead with less than 3minutes to play. Both teams played well and it was exciting all the way until the end. CHS controlled the beginning and end of the game. AV controlled the middle part of the game. Overall, well played lacrosse and very enjoyable to watch. AV should give Foothill a game for sure!
CaliTiger83
3rd Line
3rd Line

Postby parent2013 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:51 am

CHS is dominating the way Monte Vista used to. Almost.
Last year's MV squad was undefeated but most of their games had close margins. Not so with CHS this year. They are creaming everyone. It justs gets worse over the next 2 season though.

I said it two seasons ago and I'll toot my own horn again. Look out class of 2013 and that old Scorpion squad that Rick coached for 3 years prior to them starting CHS two summers ago. Last year their impact was good but this year it's great. Other than 1 going to Cal, a couple going to SRV and a couple going to MV, that Scorpion squad(which creamed 2013's all over the Bay area) landed in CHS.

Further bad news for us all is those kids will get better due to the very challenging summer/fall schedule those kids maintain. That core 2013 group will be getting real college coaching for the next 3 months in very competitive conditions. Sure it will benefit Cal, SRV and MV, but CHS gets the biggest bang. I expect EBAL next season to be more lopsided than this year.
parent2013
3rd Line
3rd Line

Postby NotthePatientOne » Wed May 11, 2011 11:51 am

Which real college coaching for the class of 2013?
NotthePatientOne
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby laxwatcher » Wed May 11, 2011 12:34 pm

I'm not writing off Amador just yet. They are playing well and have a great history in NCS playoffs. I would probably still take Amador over Foothill to meet Carondelet in the finals based on recent NCS history. Records in NCS playoffs for the last 5 years: Amador 12-4, Foothill 3-5. However, I don't think it will matter who plays Carondelet in the finals.
laxwatcher
1st Line
1st Line

Postby laxadaisical » Wed May 11, 2011 1:26 pm

I think a lot depends on whether Foothill is able to get that #2 seed. Usually I don't think home field offers much of an advantage in this sport (unless you play on a grass field and everyone else is on turf, like Carondelet up until this year). But Foothill's results on home turf are considerably better than their results away this year. If Amador is going to beat Foothill, it will be this Friday at Amador. Even if they lose to Amador this week, as long as its close I think Foothill could still manage to hold on to that #2 by the slimmest of margins. That means home field advantage until the finals, and Foothill at home is going to be tough to beat. You mentioned they're 3-5 in playoffs the last five years. That's 3-0 at home, and 0-5 away.

I'm not writing Amador off either. I'm interested to see how their young players handle the playoff atmosphere. This is a young and talented, but less experienced Amador team than the past five seasons.

I do agree that Carondelet seems to be on a championship path right now and they have the pieces in place to win not just this year, but perhaps a few in a row.
laxadaisical
All Star
All Star

Postby NotthePatientOne » Wed May 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Amador, yes, yesterday was a little closer than the final score. Amador actually got the score down to 13-11 before a missed penalty shot let the air out of a comeback, Amador was so intense up to that point. Also, Amador's goalie was asked to do something she has not had any experience with, come out of the box and help with forcing turnovers. A couple of the final CHS goals were with her out of box. Amador spent the last minutes doubling the ball, leaving a couple players open each time.

Can Amador compete with CHS, they can if they play like they did from minute 35-45. You also cannot score if you keep shooting to the CHS goalie's strong side, especially with how well CHS' defense played. Their goalie was good, their 8/12 meter defense was excellent, most of Amador's scores were passes near the front, but few were runs to the goal. The defense kept pushing the player with the ball to the outside and the whole defense is fast too.

Now for my insight to Friday's AV/FHS game. Amador would love to win that game just to show their cross-town rival they cannot be top dog for more than that last game. But..... (first, I am not a coach nor do I ever suggest that one should do this nor have I ever done this in the past) if Amador wins, they will loose their 6th or 7th seeding and get suck in the flight with CHS. No offense to FHS and either MV or Cal but I think Amador would do better in their flight than have to play CHS in round two or three in CHS' flight. An Amador win could spell an earlier than desired exit from the playoffs
NotthePatientOne
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby maxlax » Wed May 11, 2011 3:39 pm

don't count out cal just yet.
maxlax
2nd Line
2nd Line

Postby laxadaisical » Wed May 11, 2011 3:47 pm

So funny you say that NTPO... I had written something similar in my previous post and erased it because I thought my post was already wordy. I think in a backwards way Amador benefits from losing Friday more than winning too. I know it's heresy, but even if they win getting a 2 or 3 seed is a long shot. Boosting themselves into the 4 or 5 spot puts them in line to face Carondelet in the semis. With a loss they may fall to the 6 spot, and that puts them on track for a #3 vs. #6 match against California, who they've beaten twice already. Then they'd likely face Foothill in the semis, which as I said would be tough AT Foothill, but preferable to meeting Carondelet in the semifinal. But I know that Amador will not roll over and purposefully let Foothill beat them on their home turf on their senior night if they can help it. At least they know if they lose to their rival there is a silver lining.

And you're right, Maxlax. Let's not forget Monte Vista and Cal, or Davis for that matter. The 2-6 seeds should all be pretty evenly matched once they face each other. Those games should all be relatively close. I don't think anyone is counting any of those teams out.
laxadaisical
All Star
All Star

Postby NotthePatientOne » Wed May 11, 2011 3:56 pm

I know it's senior night and you would hate to lose on senior night but Amador only has 3 seniors \:D/

After the first round, are all the higher seeds at home?
NotthePatientOne
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Postby maxlax » Wed May 11, 2011 3:57 pm

The higher seed is at home always unless you are playing a league cham
maxlax
2nd Line
2nd Line

PreviousNext

Return to Women's High School