So, how about this season so far??

So, how about this season so far??

Postby NotthePatientOne » Fri May 06, 2011 7:53 am

I miss the banter that this board had in its heyday (2007-2008). At least the girls forum is somewhat even (not all about 2-3 teams) but it only appears to be EBAL. Yes, most of the founders were EBAL (but DLS was not EBAL when the board started - I also thought there was a Marin County person also - could be wrong on that). I am thinking about dusting off my other aliases to get the board hopping again \:D/ ](*,)

I cannot claim to have great knowledge of the game nor do I know players by name but if I am not mistaken, other than one or two players, no one really has talked about how the players are doing or who are the surprises or rising future players.

Also, am I mistaken but are there less fans coming out to the games? I am guilty of not going to all the games but it only appears to be parents and the students who just finished up their games or practices showing up to the games. :-({|=

What is your opinion for having the playoffs involve so many teams? Do you think the winners from each division should play each other at the end? A lot of the smaller schools have beaten the bigger schools this season

(Edited for spelling only)
NotthePatientOne
NCLF MVP
NCLF MVP

Re: So, how about this season so far??

Postby laxdad2012 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:57 am

There's an old saying about opinions that I won't share here. But since you asked, I think expanding the NCS playoffs to include 32 teams is somewhat ridiculous. I guess I understand the justification for splitting into two divisions, although I think it was unnecessary. The top DII teams CAN compete with the top DI teams. But if they had to split, it would have made sense to cut each division down to 8-10 teams at most. As it was, the last couple of years when 16 teams were included in a single bracket, the bottom 8 seeds were usually being asked to travel (sometimes long distances) to lose lopsided games. The games only got competitive in the second round and beyond. If you look at the potential DI bracket this year, there is a big dropoff once you get beyond the top 6 seeds. With a 16 team bracket there probably won't be a competitive game until the third round. And in the DII bracket, the top three teams (Acalanes, Marin Catholic and Miramonte) should win every game by double digits until they have to face one another in the 2/3 semifinal and the finals. So why even have a second division? And why put 16 teams in it? To be more inclusive? To me it just waters down the "honor" of making the NCS playoffs. In most sports, simply MAKING the NCS playoffs is a challenge. With only 17 teams in DI, every team but one will make it in. I'd accuse NCS of being in it for the money, except I don't know if they actually make any money on these games considering the small attendance versus overhead costs (officials, administration, etc). No one really cares what some random dad thinks, but if it were up to me the solution is either a single 12-team bracket, or two 8-team brackets. Every game would be competitive (at least in DI) and the outcome would likely not be changed in the least.
laxdad2012
1st Line
1st Line

Postby laxtree » Fri May 06, 2011 10:38 am

I am in agreement that by splitting into 2 divisions "watered down" the groups - but on the upside, it's allowing more teams/schools to participate. Which, given the increased number of players in the last years, most probably needed to happen.

In terms of forum postings - I'm wondering how "new" people are finding out about the forum?....or perhaps better said, they are not aware of its existence. I like the message of the first post here..... in that perhaps current forum users/readers/participants should be circulating information about the forum's existence and encouraging more participation.
laxtree
3rd Line
3rd Line

Postby laxdad2012 » Fri May 06, 2011 10:54 am

I think some coaches have discouraged participation in forums because of comments that were made that caused controversy. Even us parents can sometimes get a little fired up. That may be why there's less mention of specific players' names.
laxdad2012
1st Line
1st Line

Postby CaliTiger83 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:48 pm

I'm relatively new, but I miss the more detailed postings about the games that I saw last year. I enjoyed the game break downs and related discussions because I couldn't (can't) make all the games. I wish more fans / parents would provide write ups about the various games since there is little to nothing posted in the newspaper and only an occasional posting / write up on Westsidelax. I don't think a play by play is necessary, but a relatively object report of the game is always interesting to read and I think adds to the value of the forum.

A friend old me about the forum. I had no clue about it before they mentioned it. I would like to see more people posting, although I have to admit, I'm mostly a reader too!
CaliTiger83
3rd Line
3rd Line

Return to Women's High School